Aliceville Public Library
It is the mission of the Aliceville Public Library to select, organize, and make freely accessible books and other library materials that help meet the educational, informational, recreational, and cultural needs of our patrons. Aliceville Public Library exists to serve Aliceville and the surrounding community as a center for reliable, current, and appropriate information and as a resource for the continuing, life-long education of all members of the community. The library seeks to stimulate the various reading interests of both children and adults by placing special emphasis on enrichment programs for all ages.
The Aliceville Public Library began in 1951 as a community improvement project of the New Era Arts Club. The library officially opened in 1955 with 380 books on its shelves and was housed in the old elementary school building on Third Avenue with Miss Ida Gardner as librarian.
In 1958, Mrs. Wallace Kirksey became the librarian, a position she held until her retirement in 1976. Under Mrs. Kirksey’s care, the library continued to prosper. In the 1970s, it moved to a more spacious location on the Fourth Avenue.
From 1976 until 1996, Mrs. Ethelda Potts served as librarian. The library flourished under her direction. With the help of various grants, Mrs. Potts significantly increased the library’s book collection. She also brought new services to the library such as summer reading program for elementary students and the story hour for preschoolers.
In 1985, the library returned to its original location on Third Avenue.Mrs. Jamie Owens served as librarian from 1996 until 1999. Mrs. Owens continued the growth of the library with the edition of new computer technologies such as the automated circulation program.
Today, library director Mrs. Nelda Hudgins continues to move the library forward. With approximately 21,000 material items on the shelves, the library is continuing past services and adding new ones. Essential to the success of the library has been the support of the Aliceville City Council, local clubs, Friends of the Library, and the generous citizens of the surrounding community.